Movie Review: Suicide Squad

Synopsis:  A secret government agency is tasked with putting together really bad guys, with the intent of making them do good things.  In exchange for their service the government is willing to give some leniency on their sentencing. The subtitle is pretty "on point" : Worst Heroes Ever!

Review: I have read 50 reviews of this movie and of the 50, 10% showed some love, the other 90% call this movie crap.  I disagree.  I think the director did a great job. David Ayer, director of Fury and End of Watch, to name a few, are both movies that I enjoyed. I appreciate character development and descriptions and I think this movie did a decent job of delving into the characters. Sure they could have spent more time on each, but it would have run over its 2 hour and 3 minute timeline.  I have not read a comic book in my life, so movies are not a way of comparing the comic books to the screen portrayal, rather I go to movies for entertainment value.

The characters seemed to gel and each had their own quirks.  I definitely enjoyed the chemistry between Robbie (Harley Quinn) and Leto (The Joker). I felt Leto did a stellar job at portraying the Joker and from my perspective, he was very convincing, dark and bat shit crazy. I bought into his character from scene one, call me a sellout.  Robbie, in my humbled opinion, complimented him and you could feel the chemistry between them, like Bonnie and Clyde.  Their connection was very tangible, real and at times made me feel sweaty and dirty.

As for the other characters, I felt they were able to keep pace with the movie, offer some insightful humor and occasional laughs, and keep the cohesion of the group.  From an entertainment standpoint,I would definitely recommend this film. The villains, each different, shared a bond in some awkward way, because they had to.

There were a few moments that dragged, but not enough to make me lose interest.  I felt like it had legs and was able to walk and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. I really liked the soundtrack, as well as some of the remakes of songs.  There is one particular song I love called "Heathens" by 21 pilots. This one goes into the history books as "One I will watch again and One I will own".

Until next time...

Chad BordesComment